RUX June – Happy HourPosted: June 22, 2016 Filed under: events | Tags: information architecture, interaction design, user experience, UX Comments Off on RUX June – Happy Hour
Dear RUXsters – we are overdue for a meetup! We got plans for July and August and beyond in the works, but for now we just want to say hi, catch up, and find out what everyone’s up to. There’s been a lot of UX and Design stuff happening in Richmond, and all of it is worth chatting about over a drink, alcoholic or otherwise.
To that end, and to change up venues a bit, we will be meeting at McCormack’s Big Whiskey Grill near the Regency Mall. We figure it’s pretty centrally located, whether you work in West Creek, Glen Allen, the Near West End or Downtown. Plus, as a group dedicated to cultivating experiences, the Big Whiskey Grill has that in spades (or shot glasses, again…if that’s your thing).
Richmond UX will take care of the food and non-alcoholic beverages. The rest is up to you.
We miss seeing everyone, and we hope you can join us. Other than a few announcements, the only thing on the agenda is whatever happens to be on your mind.
June 29th, 5:30pm to 7:30pm
McCormack’s Big Whisky Grill
(The one near the Regency Mall, not the one in The Fan)
1420 N. Parham Road
We look forward to seeing you there!
WIAD 2016: RVA—It’s going to be one for the booksPosted: February 13, 2016 Filed under: conferences, events | Tags: content strategy, design, information architecture, methodology, UX Comments Off on WIAD 2016: RVA—It’s going to be one for the books
The first World IA Day: RVA is less than a week away, and we still have tickets available! We are thrilled to have four great speakers lined up for you, along with a full day of discussions, sharing, and networking. To make things even better, we will be providing great software and book giveaways and raffling off some terrific door prizes to those in attendance (you must be present to win). Take a look!
All attendees will receive:
- 3 months of access to myBalsamiq
- 3-month full license for InVision
- 2-month full license for Proto.io
- 48-hour access to any seminar in the UIE library
- One free digital copy of the newest edition of the Polar Bear book, along with a 40% off coupon toward purchase of a physical copy
All Attendees will have a chance to win:
- One license to Axure RP Pro (worth $589)
- One perpetual license to JustInMind (worth $228/year)
- One full Rosenfeld Media digital library (a $350 value)
- One copy of Intertwingled, by Peter Morville
- One copy of How to Make Sense of Any Mess, by Abby Covert
- One copy of Understanding Context, by Andrew Hinton
Tickets are free, but please cancel your registration if you find you are unable to attend. We will be providing lunch, and we’d like to have an accurate a head count as possible.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Thank you to our local sponsors!
Inaugural World IA Day: RVA – 2.20.16Posted: January 30, 2016 Filed under: conferences, events | Tags: content strategy, information architecture, interaction design, usability, user experience, UX, web design Comments Off on Inaugural World IA Day: RVA – 2.20.16
On Saturday Feb. 20, 2016, RichmondUX will be producing Richmond’s first World IA Day: RVA! We are planning a full day of discussion, learning, sharing, and networking.
Our world is full of information, and more of us than you may realize are involved with making decisions about the structure, placement, relationships between, and characteristics of information. Whether we are using the latest mobile app, watching the local news or navigating our way through the post office or grocery store, information is all around us.
Because of the ubiquitous nature of information, information architecture is not just practiced by specialists. If you work in any of the following domains, you’ll be right at home here: user experience (UX), user interface (UI) design, web or mobile design, product design and management, data visualization, content strategy, library science, customer experience, and even service design.
In short: if you analyze, synthesize, or organize information, content, or data—or if you just want to learn more about information archtecture— we would love you to see you there! Please visit the WIAD:RVA event page for details on speakers and schedule and to get your tickets. Please note: Attendance is free, but Eventbrite registration in advance is REQUIRED.
Thank you to our local sponsors for making this event possible! Please check them out.
RUX December – 2015 Year-End EventPosted: November 23, 2015 Filed under: events, meetings | Tags: information architecture, interaction design, user experience, UX Comments Off on RUX December – 2015 Year-End Event
Get ready for our first annual year-end recap and networking event!
2015 was a banner year for Richmond UX, and on December 2nd we want to celebrate with as many of you as can make it. In addition to networking and getting to know each other better, we will recap 2015 and look ahead to 2016. As important, we want to hear from you. What’s been working, what could be improved, and how can we better fulfill our mission: to be the source for the theory and practice of user experience, research, design, and evaluation in the Central Virginia region; to promote the value of User Experience methods to businesses, schools, and other entities; and to cultivate a community of UX-related professionals through knowledge sharing, professional development, and networking.
5-5:30 – Networking
5:30-6 – 2015 Recap
6-6:30 – Open Forum
6:30-7+ – Networking
December 2nd from 5:00pm to 8:00pm
Capital Ale House Innsbrook
4024 Cox Road
Glen Allen, VA 23060
We look forward to seeing you there!
[JOB] Senior IA/UXDPosted: September 6, 2011 Filed under: jobs | Tags: information architecture Comments Off on [JOB] Senior IA/UXD
From the folks at Celerity:
Celerity’s Web Presence Management Practice is hiring a Senior Level Information Architect/User Experience Designer.
This person will be part of our Web Practice, initially working with a Celerity project team on an enterprise Intranet redesign project. Onsite in the Washington, DC, area for the first 2-3 weeks then mostly remote. Initially through the end of the year, but the project will probably extend.
Ideal candidates will offer the following expertise:
– Minimum of 5 years as an Information Architect/User Experience Designer
-Experience with designing intranets or portals
– Extensive experience with stakeholder interviews, end user research (surveys and focus groups), and usability testing, preferably using Morae
– Extensive experience with Information Architecture tasks (sitemaps, wireframes)
– Some knowledge of web content management/document management is desirable
– Experience in the digital media industry would be preferred, but not required
Contact David Luscombe, +1-703-848-3702
[JOB] Several UX jobs in AlexandriaPosted: January 27, 2011 Filed under: jobs | Tags: information architecture Comments Off on [JOB] Several UX jobs in Alexandria
Our friends Forum One in Alexandria have a bunch of openings for IAs and UX folks:
[JOB] Information Architect in RichmondPosted: July 6, 2010 Filed under: jobs | Tags: information architecture Comments Off on [JOB] Information Architect in Richmond
* Creating the information architecture and interaction design for transactional, informational, and marketing website
* Understanding target audiences’ needs, tasks, and goals and translating them into creative concepts and functional components
* Working closely with clients to translate business requirements into meaningful interactive experiences
* Leading and/or participating in immersive user research, concept testing, and usability testing
* Developing and/or participating in the development of user personas and scenarios to clarify results of user research and focus the team’s design efforts on the needs of key users
* Collaboratively developing prototypes for demonstration of concepts to clients
* Conducting competitive audits and market research
* Developing and documenting detailed user experience specifications for highly interactive interfaces
* Participating in User Experience thought leadership in both the company and the industry
More information on ixda.org
[JOB] Information Architect (IA) in RichmondPosted: November 11, 2009 Filed under: jobs | Tags: information architecture Comments Off on [JOB] Information Architect (IA) in Richmond
Our friends at SnagAJob are hiring! Apply at http://www.snagajob.com.
Location: Richmond, Virginia
SnagAJob.com is seeking an experienced and passionate IA to join our growing Web Experience team. This team is responsible for designing, building, and supporting, front-end elements used throughout SnagAJob.com as well as other online company initiatives. The Web Experience team is critical to ensuring that SnagAJob.com provides the best user experience possible to its internal and external users.
Asan IA you will be a vital link between Product and Engineering (collaborative personality a must). You will be responsible for creating documents such as wireframes, site maps, and prototypes that translate user requirements into a visual form-enabling internal and external customers to experience a product prior to its development. You must also have a results-driven attitude and be willing to back your ideas and designs with user testing and site metrics.
In addition to IA responsibilities this candidate should also possess the design skills needed to translate documents into detailed design comps that will be used by our Web Developers to build the final product.
- Plan, design, and conduct user experience research throughout the product development process, including competitive evaluations, iterative prototypes, usability testing, and similar methods
- Produce and communicate necessary design deliverables, including wireframes, prototypes and mockups, across a multidisciplinary team throughout all phases of the project
- Advocate for the end user by building consensus with stakeholders to ensure that design and business goals are balanced with user needs
- Perform usability test planning, execution, reviews and results analysis
- Minimum of 4 years experience as Information Architect
- Solid understanding of information architecture and user interface design concepts and techniques
- Strong conceptual and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Strong portfolio of IA deliverables
- Experience with major design software (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)
- Experience working in an Agile environment a plus
- Familiarity with usability testing
- Familiarity with CSS and HTML
Compensation and Benefits
SnagAJob.com offers a highly competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life, short and long-term disability insurance, 401k plan, tuition reimbursement, holidays, paid time off (starting with 18 days); a generous commission plan; and a casual, fun work environment.